Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Bay to Breakers 2014


Narwhal Narwhal Swimming Through the Ocean
This past Sunday was Bay to Breakers. This event combines what have recently become two of my favorite pastimes: running and costume making!

The costume: My friends decided on a "winter" theme this year. In our ranks we had a polar bear, a reindeer, and a couple of snowmen. I decided to be a narwhal, which is not particularly winter-y. It is, however, pretty awesome. I spray-painted a foam hard hat, glued on some googly eyes and a spiral tusk, and made flippers and a fluke out of felt. I was very happy with the results!

Apparently people love narwhals. My fellow narwhal and I got several shout-outs ("NARWHALS!!") and several strangers took photos of/with us. There were a few who mistook us for unicorns, but we promptly corrected them. Besides, what kind of sad unicorn is gray? 

The running: My friends and I unofficially participated (partied) in Bay to Breakers for the last two years, walking only part of the course. This year, with my new-found love for running, I was ready to race. Sadly, my legs did not feel the same way. I strained my calf during the Rock 'n' Roll SF race, and it still hasn't recovered (I finally went to see the doctor after 6 weeks of little improvement). 

It is such a downer to not be able to run. After several years of trying to "get in to running," I finally enjoy the activity. I should have seen it coming, though. I was so excited about running faster and farther. During training runs I would say to myself, "Why can't I run faster than this? Oh wait, I CAN run faster!" And look at me now. Sigh.

And so, I jogged the first 3 miles and walking the rest. I was OK with walking, though. Besides, it was really crowded, and it's difficult to run with a tusk sticking out of your head. Bay to Breakers is all about the experience, anyway.

My official finish time is 2:03:17. That's longer than the last two half-marathons I've run! I find this amusing. Despite not being able to run, I had a blast. I will definitely do this race next year--and hopefully run it. 

Bay to Breakers: May 18, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment